Saturday 8 April 2017

Watched 3 Makoto Shinkai's Film

Today I decided to watch 3 Makoto Shinkai's film consecutively.
  • 5 Centimeter per second (2007)
  • Garden of Words (2013)
  • Your Name (2016)
It's the best way to feel poignant sadness, watching Makoto's films. I'm such a smart ass haha, already in the phase of my life where I'm constantly alone, I decided to add the sadness by watching these movies.

Overall, these movies' theme is about longing and separation. It's a realistic depiction of what "love" is, and how it usually ended up separation by time and space. After watching these movies, I feel sad, and depressed.

5 Centimeter per second (2007) taught me about the importance to let go of the past infatuation, stop thinking/hoping about the ideal girlfriend or the ideal outcome. As always, ideal expectation sure will disappoint. I also learn to try to appreciate the present, the people in my present life, and try to get the best out of it. In the end, it's the memories that matters. It's how I remember that matters. Even though if other people think my situation is an ordeal, as long as I remember it positively, that'll do. That's why ignorance is bliss, it's like not knowing you're in a shit hole, and being happy about it, because you didn't realise you're in a shit hole. This film also reminded me about my past infatuations with a lot of girls, and to forget about the idealized version of them in my mind, because I reckon crushes will probably not work. A great film that touches our heart, and taught us that although looking back can be sweet, looking forward at the present might be the best.

Garden of Words gave me a feeling of longing for a companion, not necessary a romantic one, but someone who can just enjoy each other's company. If social convention have no dictation, I wonder whom can I enjoy my companionship with, might be someone unexpected. Well, if only a place where there's no social conformity actually exist. I can actually relate to this film very well because in this phase of my life, I'm pretty much alone, not knowing if this will last a lifetime. I always joke to myself that I will die a virgin, lol. I can really relate to the character, Yukino, who basically lives on her own, having no friends, and rather stressed about life, which is crumbling around her. It was in this film that I realized my problem is a bit similar to the character: not revealing to others what important. I've been living my life a lie so far, not telling other people how I really felt about things. It will be hard to admit my loneliness to others, because having no friends and no weekend plans and no hangouts is rather embarrassing haha. This film is a tribute to the people who are currently in the state of loneliness, and that being loneliness is not a 100% bad thing, but it's not 100% ok. What it really meant to me is to acknowledge my loneliness, not be embarrassed by it, but embrace it as part of the process of growing up and maturing in time.

Your Name, when I first watched it, it overwhelms me with emotions, the longing emotion of searching for someone who can really fill the void. Now, I've watched the film for like the 20th time. I began to realise the plot holes haha. Anyway, enough of nitpicking. This film made me nostalgic of any infatuations feelings I have for any girl, or fi there's a girl destined for us to be together. It made me wonder if there's someone out there. But then again, in reality, you're the one who is suppose to make the initiative to meet people. It's like looking for something that could fill up the loneliness and emptiness in my heart. I just love this film so much, made me very emotional. In the midst of hectic schedule, one does ponder if there's a great connection with a special person can exist. At least this film positive ending, unlike the other two, which were more melancholic.






No comments:

Post a Comment